WAM Internship Application
Our Internship program is widely recognized in the audio and music production industries for the caliber of training, range of activities, overall experience, as well as job placement opportunities. Past interns have gone on to positions with such companies as Dolby, Pixar, Apple, Sony, Google, and Pandora, as well as most of the premier venues for music and performance in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Please read the requirements and important dates listed below and click the Apply Here button to continue to the application. If you have any questions, please reach out to email@example.com.
WAM Internship Program Goals:
- Build confidence levels, communication skills, and personal versatility in the audio industry
- Develop interpersonal connections for networking and community support
- Gain experience navigating a virtual workspace and operating online communication/learning platforms, in addition to hands-on studio training
- Create career pathways for future employment opportunities
Women’s Audio Mission (WAM) selects interns three times per year, in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. Approximately 5-10 interns are selected each term through a competitive pool of applicants from around the United States. The Internship is open to women (transgender or cisgender) and non-binary/gender-expansive folks over the age of 18, and recommended for those 21 years and older. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept international applicants at this time.
COVID-19 Precautions: WAM requires all staff and interns to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to be masked while indoors. In the event of a local shelter-in-place order, we will transition to all-virtual programming.
Is this Internship a fit for you?
Please review this list carefully to ensure you are available for all the dates and hours required to fulfill the internship duties. We can only consider your application if you meet all the requirements. We value your time and want to maximize it by making great connections with your cohort and the WAM team and learning as much as possible in your time with us. This is an exciting opportunity, and we don’t want you to miss a minute!
TIME COMMITMENT AND AVAILABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
***Commitment of a total of 18 hours per week, Monday – Friday (PDT), in person, virtually, and some evenings and weekends when classes, sessions, and events are scheduled.***
To participate as a WAM Intern, please read the schedule closely.
Required hours means: Be available to attend in-person workshops, skills training, and educational programs.
We do our best to work with your schedule! Keep in mind as an intern, you’ll likely support one Girls on the Mic class series weekly, and one Adult class series weekly (or a two-day class on a weekend), spanning the 8-14 weeks of the Internship. They often overlap, and we ensure you are able to do both in a way that is manageable for your schedule. NOTE: We hold many of our intern workshops in Oakland. However, the programs and some of our workshops are in SF, so we tend to toggle between the two locations..
- Wednesdays from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm – Intern Skills Workshop in SF and Oakland.
- Fridays from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm – Intern Skills Workshops, Partner Tours (Dolby, Meyer, etc.) in SF and Oakland.
- Girls on the Mic (GOTM) hours are usually between 12:00 pm – 6:00 pm for either a lunchtime school program OR an after-school program. It depends upon the partners we are serving that term. We ask that all applicants are open and available to work at 1–2 desired schools. See responsibilities below.
- Adult Education Classes run on in person weeknights from 6:00 pm – 9:30 pm and weekends 9:00 am – 2:00 pm (in both SF and Oakland). See responsibilities below.
- Ability to attend in-person training and meetings in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Ability to attend in-person, exclusive tours (this will happen on Fridays or Mondays) with local Bay Area audio industry leaders (Dolby, Meyer, etc.)
- Be available to regularly attend virtual and in-person meetings in supporting Girls on the Mic classes and Adult Education classes; hours vary.
- Commitment to attending engineering shadowing appointments if that is your pathway of choice. These are incredible and rare opportunities to observe (shadow) audio industry partners working live events, recordings, and more!
- Passion and commitment to working in the audio industry – even if you’re unsure what kind of work you want to do in audio, this program will help you discover that!
- Minimum of 1 year of experience working with youth and a passion for their educational success
- A minimum of 1 year of audio education
- Support WAM’s mission of changing the face of audio
- Ability to work independently
- Facility in operating a standard computer (Mac or PC)
- Recommended for 21 years of age or older
- Completed or willingness to complete mandated reporter training
- TB Test
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination
IMPORTANT DATES: Check your calendar! You must be available on these dates to be considered eligible for the internship.
|June 1||Applications Open|
|July 21||Applications Due|
|June 15 – July 24||Application review by Committee|
|July 1 – July 27||Interviews with Select Candidates|
|August 14||Announce Intern Cohort Members|
10:00 am – 4:00 pm
|Orientation Day 1 @ WAM SF|
10:00 am – 3:00 pm
|Orientation Day 2 with Girls on the Mic, SF/Oakland TBD|
|September XX||Start Internship|
|October XX||End Internship|
NOTE ABOUT EMPLOYMENT AND PAY:
This is an unpaid internship. This is not paid work and not employment by any terms. There is a $1500 stipend available at the completion of the Internship for all of those who have met eligibility and completed the required intern hours.
Women’s Audio Mission is an equal employment opportunity employer.