NOW HIRING: Director of Development
Type: Senior Leadership, Full Time, Exempt
Location: Headquarters in San Francisco, CA; Remote/Hybrid Available (seeking candidates in San Francisco, Los Angeles, or Nashville)
Compensation: $110,000 to $120,000 annually + medical/vision/dental benefits, 21 days of PTO, 12 holidays, sick time, 401(k) plan after 12 months, commuter Benefits, professional development funds (budget permitting)
WHO WE ARE
Women’s Audio Mission is an award-winning nonprofit dedicated to closing the gender gap in the music industry through music and media production training, mentoring, and access to technology. Since 2003, WAM has supported over 20,000 girls, women, and gender-expansive people, providing them with training, access, and pathways into the audio industry. WAM offers a collaborative, energetic environment full of passionate professionals and innovative programs that transform the lives of the students and artists with whom we work. We strive to build an inclusive atmosphere that reflects diverse backgrounds and meets the evolving needs of our constituents and the community we serve.
Seeded by a major gift from Philanthropist MacKenzie Scott, WAM is currently in a $9M Capital Campaign to support the opening of locations in Los Angeles and Nashville. The Director of Development will spearhead this campaign to support the expansion and manage a portfolio of high-profile individual donors, foundations, and corporate funders. It is anticipated that the development team will grow as the campaign gets underway.
WHO YOU ARE
You are a visionary and results-driven leader with a deep commitment to WAM’s mission of closing the gender gap in the music industry.
Your passion for the transformative power of sounds, music, and media is contagious, and you firmly believe in the potential of music and media arts training to empower and uplift women, girls, and gender-expansive individuals.
Your advocacy for racial justice and equality is not just a talking point but a driving force behind your actions and decisions. You understand the importance of representation and inclusivity in the industry and are dedicated to creating meaningful opportunities for underrepresented voices.
You thrive in fast-paced environments, prioritize “we” over “me”, and are not afraid to roll up your sleeves to get things done, ensuring every project is executed with excellence, efficiency, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
You are a persuasive communicator, adept at delivering compelling presentations that captivate audiences and secure unwavering support for WAM’s mission.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
You will play a pivotal role in driving the revenue-generating efforts of Women’s Audio Mission (WAM). Your mission-critical responsibilities will center around achieving ambitious fundraising goals and ensuring sustainable financial support for our transformative programs.
As the Director of Development, you’ll serve as a key member of WAM’s leadership team, overseeing the revenue-generating efforts of the organization. Reporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director (ED), you will work closely with the Board of Directors to achieve our fundraising targets, supported by your team of direct reports including a Grants Manager/Writer, Marketing Manager and Development Coordinator.
Your primary responsibility will be creating and implementing fundraising strategies that increase WAM’s financial support from individual donors and special events, while maintaining support from our existing network of foundations, corporations, and government sources.
WHAT YOU’LL DELIVER
- Leadership and Team Development: Lead and support a dynamic team of professionals, including a Grants Manager/Writer, Marketing Manager, and Development Coordinator. Your coaching, mentorship, and formal evaluations will foster a collaborative and high-performing development team.
- Comprehensive Fundraising Plan: Develop and execute a comprehensive annual fundraising plan, targeting a minimum of $2M or more, to support WAM’s mission and organizational objectives. This plan will encompass diverse funding streams, including major gifts, annual funds, government grants, foundation grants, and corporate giving.
- Capital Campaign Leadership: Spearhead the planning and execution of a high-stakes $9M capital campaign to support the opening of new locations in Los Angeles and Nashville. This campaign’s success will be the driving force behind WAM’s expansion and ability to reach even more individuals with our empowering programs.
- Major Gift Program Expansion: Create and implement a major gift program that strategically increases individual giving and secures substantial gifts from new and existing donors. Your expertise in prospect research, moves management, stewardship, and donor relations will be instrumental in cultivating and securing long-term support.
- Oversee Fundraising Efforts: Empower the Executive Director, Board, and volunteer solicitors in their fundraising efforts. Provide them with the necessary tools, including prospect research, solicitation plans, and coaching, to elevate their effectiveness as fundraisers.
- Large-Scale Stewardship Program: Develop and lead a comprehensive stewardship program, demonstrating the organization’s profound gratitude and commitment to donors at all giving levels.
- Annual Marketing Strategy: Oversee the planning and execution of annual marketing efforts to support income generation and reinforce WAM’s brand strategy. Conceptualize and create engaging marketing materials that resonate with current and prospective individual donors.
- Donor Database Oversight: Ensure the accuracy and integrity of WAM’s donor database, leveraging your proficiency in Salesforce, for effective prospect tracking, donor relationship management, and data-driven decision-making.
REQUIREMENTS & CORE COMPETENCIES
We welcome candidates with corporate business development or nonprofit Board experience similar to the requirements listed below for consideration.
- Fundraising Strategy Leadership: 5 to 7 years of proven leadership and expertise in developing and executing comprehensive fundraising plans targeting $2M or more, including major gifts, annual funds, government grants, foundation grants, and corporate giving. Demonstrated success in increasing philanthropic revenue and achieving fundraising targets. Ability to lead and inspire the development team and collaborate with the Executive Director and Board to achieve organizational goals.
- Collaborative Leadership: A collaborative and inclusive leadership style that values teamwork and emphasizes a “we” over “me” approach. Ability to inspire and support the development team and foster a positive, energetic work environment.
- Strategic Thinking and Entrepreneurial Mindset: A self-starting, strategic thinker with an entrepreneurial mindset to drive innovation in fundraising approaches and adapt to evolving donor landscapes.
- Major Gift Cultivation and Stewardship: Demonstrated experience in personally identifying, cultivating, soliciting, closing, and stewarding major gifts from individual donors, foundations, government funders, and corporations in the 5-6 figure and greater range. Adept at building strong prospect lists and developing lasting relationships with donors to ensure ongoing support.
- Prospect Research and Relationship Building: Expertise in conducting prospect research and analysis to identify new funding opportunities and cultivate potential donors. Skilled in building and maintaining strong relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders, including donors, community members, and partners.
- Philanthropic Networks and Trends (Arts, Gender Equity, STEM): In-depth understanding of philanthropic networks, particularly in the arts, gender equity, STEM, and other relevant areas. Knowledge of trends in national and local philanthropy, with a focus on the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, and Nashville TN markets, to leverage opportunities for funding and partnerships.
- Community Engagement and Representation: Willingness to travel to attend meetings, site visits with donors, and represent WAM and its values in public-facing opportunities with donors, community members, and partners.
- Communication, Public Speaking and Presentations: Highly skilled in creating and delivering compelling presentations at events and donor meetings. Ability to effectively communicate WAM’s mission, impact, and fundraising needs to diverse audiences. Excellent written and verbal communication skills for effective donor engagement and public-facing opportunities.
- Donor Management Software (Salesforce): Proficient in using and overseeing staff adoption of donor management software, preferably Salesforce, for prospect tracking, donor relationship management, and data analysis. Experience in maintaining accurate donor databases and generating relevant reports.
- Financial Management and Budgeting: Demonstrated experience in developing and managing department-specific budgets and financial reporting. Ability to advise the Executive Director on funding matters in relation to budgeting and articulate the financial story of the organization for fundraising and business development purposes.
- Marketing and Brand Strategy: Experience in leading annual marketing efforts specific to development goals to support income generation and brand strategy. Lead, conceptualize, and create marketing materials to engage and solicit individual donors effectively.
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Demonstrated commitment to issues of racial justice and equality. A personal and professional dedication to increasing representation and opportunities for women, girls, and gender-expansive individuals in music/audio production and creative technology.
- Technology Skills: Proficiency in using various online tools, such as Zoom, Slack, Google Workspace, and Microsoft Office programs.
WAM is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Applicants from the San Francisco Bay Area and who identify as Black, Indigenous, and/or people of color and trans/gender-expansive are strongly encouraged to apply.