Women’s Audio Mission addresses two critical issues:
- Less than 5% of the people creating the sounds, music and media in the daily soundtrack of our lives are women.
- The alarming 70% decline in women/girls enrolling in college STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math) programs since the year 2000.
Women’s Audio Mission is a San Francisco/Oakland-based nonprofit organization that uses music and media and an incredible “carrot” of a training environment – the only professional recording studio in the world built and run by women – to attract over 1,500 underserved women and girls every year to STEM and creative technology studies that inspire them to amplify their voices and become the innovators of tomorrow. WAM’s award-winning curriculum weaves art and music with science, technology and computer programming and works to close the critical gender gap in creative technology careers.
WAM’s accomplishments include:
- 500+ women have been placed in paid positions with Google, Pixar, SFJazz, NPR, Dolby Laboratories, KQED, recording Mary J. Blige & Hillary Clinton for Apple, Comedy Central, Tracy Chapman, Animal Planet, Electronic Arts, etc
- The White House Office of Social Innovation visited WAM to learn about WAM’s revolutionary methods of educating young women and girls.
- WAM was recently featured on the SF Chronicle: wam.rocks/SFChron2016; KQED: wam.rocks/KQED2016; and NBC News: http://wam.rocks/wamNBCnews
- WAM was named “Best of the Bay” by the San Francisco Bay Guardian.
- 2,000+ classes given to 12,000 women/girls over 15 years
- WAM’s recording studio is the only professional recording studio in the world built and run entirely by women.
- WAM has produced and recorded albums for over 150 artists from 21 countries, including GRAMMY-winners Kronos Quartet, acclaimed author Salman Rushdie for NPR, Angélique Kidjo (2014 GRAMMY Winner), Oscar-nominated film, “Dirty Wars”, tUnE-yArDs, Clarence Jones (Martin Luther King’s Speechwriter), award-winning singer Tanya Tagaq, and St. Lawrence String Quartet, providing work experience for 215+ women.
- WAM was awarded Google RISE Awards in 2015 and 2016 for our integration of computer science into our curriculum.