The On Being Project is a nonprofit media and public life initiative pursuing deep thinking and moral imagination, social courage and joy, to renew inner life, outer life, and life together. This work is manifest externally through our integrated teams of Studios, Community & Design, and Civil Conversations and Social Healing.
We are looking for someone to bring their talents to producing audio content that serves our very active, counter-culturally broad, and growing community of listeners. The themes we’ve been pursuing across the years are converging with this global moment, which gives us a deep well of offerings to bring to the surface alongside a calling to accompany the healers, creatives, and changemakers who make up our community. The Producer will be at the center of this work.
The Producer will be a leader within our Studios team. The Studios team’s mission is to create audio content that meets our audience where they are and for how they long to be. We are a collaborative team that embraces experimentation and iteration.
The Studios team produces content for our public radio and podcast portfolio, including our flagship show — the Peabody award-winning On Being with Krista Tippett, which has been downloaded and played over 200 million times and was named by The New York Times as first of their recommended “8 Podcasts for the Spiritual Searcher.”
A core focus of the Producer’s role will be to lead production for our newest podcast, Poetry Unbound, which was played/downloaded over a million times in its first season this year (season 2 is currently in production). The producer will also work on our other podcast, This Movie Changed Me. The Producer will collaborate closely with our Community & Design team to create original short-form audio content, from Care Packages on onbeing.org to Tools for the Art of Living on YouTube. And they will support our Civil Conversations and Social Healing team as they pursue audio content that resources communities to do the work of social healing.
The ideal candidate for this role is a collaborative and curious leader who loves learning. They lead by example through both the quality of their work, their flexibility, and their direct communication style. They understand what makes a good story and how to identify themes and emblematic moments in an interview. They love the editorial and technical challenge of editing audio to craft compelling, insightful content. And they are independent and organized enough to tackle projects on their own, but still enjoy working as a team.
This is a full-time position with an expected start date of September 2020. They will report to the Executive Producer of On Being Studios who is based in Minneapolis. This position may be remote.
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead the seasonal production for Poetry Unbound, including editing audio, mixing, gathering poetry permissions, managing the production calendar, coordinating studio time with the host, and collaborating closely with the host and executive producer on strategy and content.
- Assist in producing This Movie Changed Me, including researching/pitching possible guests, editing audio, mixing, managing the production calendar, booking guests and studio spaces, and creating prep packets for the host.
- Create short-form original audio content with the Community & Design team.
- Support the audio production needs of the Civil Conversations and Social Healing team.
- Hold a commitment to advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Cultural competency that demonstrates an ability to engage people across ideological, cultural, and political differences.
- A minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience working at a high-level in the fields of radio and audio production.
- Strong editorial judgment and skills.
- Strong understanding of journalistic ethics and principles.
- Extensive experience editing audio, preferably in ProTools or comparable audio software.
- Experience editing video, preferably in Adobe Premiere or comparable video editing software, is a plus.
- Strong digital fluency with collaboration, asset management, and conferencing software, including Google Suite, Dropbox, and Zoom.
- Interest and ability in learning new tools and software in managing production workflows.
- Fluency with Mac OS is strongly preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of sound design and music mixing as used to create and enhance the storytelling experience.
- Familiar with On Being Studio’s content and listens to podcasts regularly.
- Able to successfully incorporate feedback and manage multiple points of view.
- Able to manage your time wisely, responding to tight deadlines and changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
Note: Please consider applying if you meet 70 percent of the requirements above.
Please apply here by 9 a.m. CST, Monday, July 13th. You will be asked to submit a resume, references, and briefly respond to the prompts below (each in 250 words or fewer). We will review your answers before we look at your resume.
- Choose an episode from Poetry Unbound. Give us an example of an idea directly related to that episode that you would pitch for an original short-form audio or video segment on YouTube. (Here are some examples of shorts we’ve created for On Being.)
- Reflecting on the first season of Poetry Unbound, identify 2-3 missing themes we might explore in future seasons.
- Tell us about a time you worked on a collaborative editorial project. How did you incorporate feedback and manage multiple points of view, even those that challenged your own? What did you learn from it?
- What is something you’d like us to know about yourself that we wouldn’t ordinarily get from a resume?