This is a 30 hrs/week part-time regular position.
Bay Curious is a podcast, radio show, and newsletter that answers listener questions about the San Francisco Bay Area. We strive to deepen our audience’s understanding of the Bay Area and each other. For us that means sharing interesting stories about local history, landmarks, food, culture, politics, science and nature. We create stories weekly for podcast, broadcast, KQED.org and on social media. We’ve also got a monthly Bay Curious newsletter and host occasional events, like trivia nights and audience meet-ups.
Are you an experienced audio producer who is ready to roll up their sleeves and dive into our ongoing podcast production cycle? Do you love working with reporters to help them turn their reporting into engaging, immersive audio stories? Then you’re in the right place! This role will include editing scripts, mixing audio, directing narration, music scoring, sound designing and working with reporters to gather and identify the most engaging tape. You’ll also be reporting your own stories, so we are looking for someone with experience reporting, sound recording, fact checking, editing and narrating.
One thing you should know about Bay Curious is we really love our audience. You’ll help us serve them wherever they may be, by pitching stories to various newsletters, crafting social sharelines for social media, helping manage and organize our audience questions, responding directly to listeners, and helping us think of new and better ways to serve them.
We’re a small team. If you love variety, and consider yourself a jack-of-all-trades, this job may be for you. This is a 30-hour per week benefited position.
- Deep knowledge of sound design and mixing for podcasts
- Creates and edits stories for the podcast, web, mobile and social media in various mediums, such as audio, text stories, photographs, video and databases.
- Create social engagement plans for Bay Curious.
- Familiarity with podcast publishing workflows and analytics
- Three to five years of experience with audio production/reporting
- Proficiency or mastery of Adobe Audition (or similar program) audio editing skills
- Excellent content and audio editing skills
- Excellent editorial judgment
- Strong writing and editing for broadcast, online and social media
- Experience working in a newsroom under daily/weekly deadlines
- Proficient in reporting from the field and delivering audio, text, photographs and video via mobile equipment
- Thorough knowledge of journalistic principles, ethics and standards
- High proficiency in sound editing and podcast production techniques
- Familiarity with writing and publishing for the web using a news content management systems.
- Ability to research and report news using a variety of technologies, methods and sources
- Demonstrated ability to cover range of significant public affairs issues and subjects such as government and politics, the economy, education, health, immigration, legal affairs and the environment.
- Ability to interview and communicate with a variety of individuals
- Ability to research and communicate through a variety of mobile and digital tools
- Ability to work under deadline pressures
- Working knowledge of a range of significant regional and state-wide public affairs issues and subjects such as government and politics, the economy, education, health, immigration, legal affairs and the environment preferred
- Experience leading social media marketing campaigns
- Experience writing and producing a newsletter
- Skills with musical scoring and/or composition
Let Us Tell You More About Our Benefits
Whether you’re single, married, have children, are in a domestic partnership or anything in between, we have you covered. Employees at KQED enjoy a family-friendly workplace offering 20 days of paid time off, 11 paid holidays, paid parental leave, family medical leave benefits, comprehensive health/vision/dental and commuter benefits as well as a 403(b) with employer match. KQED encourages diversity, openness and offers training to support personal and professional development. In addition, we are proud to offer Employee Resource Groups, wellness programs as well as free KQED membership.
The Mission That Drives Us
KQED is for everyone who wants to be more.
Our television, radio, digital media, and educational services change lives for the better and help individuals and communities achieve their full potential.
KQED serves the people of Northern California with a community-supported alternative to commercial media.
We provide citizens with the knowledge they need to make informed decisions; convene community dialogue; bring the arts to everyone and engage audiences to share their stories. We help students and teachers thrive in 21st-century classrooms, and take people of all ages on journeys of exploration- exposing them to new people, places and ideas.
APPLY HERE: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1685016453