Sunset Youth Services’ mission is to foster long-term stability and growth for in-risk youth and families through caring relationships and supportive services. This goal is based on the simple belief that youth are inherently worthy of dignity and respect and have the potential to positively contribute to their communities when their real needs are met.
Sunset Youth Services focuses it’s work on the following four areas: Justice Services, Family Services, Digital Arts Programs and Workforce Development.
The Creative Lead is responsible for leading the creative process and output of our digital arts programs and workforce development, translating the organization’s values and vision into life-changing development experiences for high-risk youth. Tasked with advancing the hands-on creative work of youth, the Creative Lead will function like a “jack of all trades,” helping young people pursue their goals in audio recording, videography, and graphic design. The Creative Lead will lead the effort to create a safe and vibrant community at the youth center, schools, and detention facilities. In addition to supporting the daily operation of our programs, the Creative Lead will focus on sharing the creative work of our youth, strengthening SYS’s brand, visibility, impact, and influence citywide.
Sunset Youth Services has a long history of providing support to high-risk youth at critical life junctures. The Creative Lead is on the frontline of our efforts to build strong relationships with youth, supporting them in their hopes, struggles, aspirations, and passions. The Creative Lead duties include:
- Hands on creative role with a priority placed on music production, songwriting, recording, mixing, and post production.
- Leading training and creative work of youth employed at Upstar Records (25 high-risk youth annually) and those who are working in leadership opportunities with paid contracts.
- Executing a compelling digital arts curriculum and program focused on meeting the diverse needs of at least 66 high-risk youth (ages 14-18) and 94 Transitional Age Youth (18-24) annually.
- Leading songwriting workshops in detention-based programing at San Francisco’s Juvenile Hall and Log Cabin Ranch and on-site at high schools for outreach, events, and programming.
- Teaching beat making, songwriting, filmmaking, and graphic design to youth throughout our programs.
- Assisting in the daily booking and staffing of Sunset Youth Services’ on-site studio space.
- Act as a positive role model in all interactions with youth, encouraging respect, cooperation, and enthusiasm for the job and for a life of creativity and health.
- Assist Upstar Records in pre-employment, employment, and transitional activities using approaches that meet the needs of all clients (one-on-one, group, hands on, etc).
- Staffing the Youth Center in a way that helps create a safe and vibrant community where youth can connect and grow as artists and people.
- Staffing the detention-based programming in a way that helps connect incarcerated youth with our creative community as they prepare for reentry.
- Expert in Music and Video Production
- Knowledge and experience in Hip Hop music production is a must.
- Expert at using all or some of the following creative tools: Pro Tools, Reason, Logic, Adobe Premiere, Lightroom and Photoshop
- Experience developing and implementing creative curriculum
- Motivated to build enduring relationships with high-risk youth and young adults
- Able to develop positive connections with youth, their families and their friends
- Ability to thrive in a relationally-driven organization with a creative edge
- Prior experience thriving on a highly cooperative team
- Superior communication and organizational skills
- Motivated to help youth gain skills, change their lives, and find employment
- The ideal candidate is organized, responsible, and dependable
- Available evenings 4-8pm
- Available for staffed weekend events as needed
Sunset Youth Services is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from female and minority candidates.
Job Type: Full-time