Highlights for Children, a family media brand that has been nurturing children with high-quality, innovative products for more than 70 years, reaches more than two million children every month throughout the world. Our wide variety of “Fun with a Purpose” magazines, books, and digital products is dedicated to helping children become their best selves – creative, curious, caring and confident.
Highlights is committed to making the very best content for children, and great sound design is essential to meeting this goal. From podcasts to voice-over, educational songs to instrumental scores, sound effects to on-site audio recording, our audio needs continue to grow. We have an immediate opening for a talented audio wizard who knows the way around a recording studio and knows how to make kids dance, sing, and rock out!
Responsible for the production of all Highlights’ audio needs, encompassing engineering, mixing, and music composition tasks. Key to this position is the ability to produce considerate audio content for children, including voice-over, instrumental scores for animations that add to (rather than detract from) narrations, sound effects, and songs with lyrics. Ideal candidate is adept at audio production and has experience creating original content for children.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Tracking, Engineering, Editing, and Processing all Voice-Over.
- Coaching VO actors.
- Composing instrumental scores and accompaniment for videos and animation.
- Composing original songs, with lyrics, for children.
- Creation of sound effects.
- Managing all invoices and contracts for studio .
- Scheduling voice-over actors and other talent.
- Managing a variety of products and associated workflows and schedules.
- Communicating with other members of the company so expectations can be managed internally and externally.
- Coordinating with outside vendors working with Highlights on various products
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors’ Degree in Audio Engineering or related field (or similar) plus 5-6 years of equivalent experience.
- Experience working with or performing music for children is a plus.
Ideal candidate should be proficient in
- Pro Tools
- Adobe Premier, Audition, and additional Creative Cloud programs
- Waves, Izotope, UA and similar plugins
- Native Instruments Komplete or similar virtual instruments
Additionally, candidate must know their way around basic outboard gear such as microphones, compressors, and mic pres. Ability to play keys, guitar, bass, percussion, a plus. Ability to relocate to northeastern Pennsylvania a must! Please submit samples of previous work with application.