This position requires an experienced, ambitious and dedicated journalist capable of juggling multiple tasks at once and meeting mission-critical deadlines – all while staying cool, calm and collected. The producer/director must be proficient at audio production, writing for on air, writing text stories and producing other online news content for the web, mobile and social media platforms.
The producer/director also helps coordinate and direct the show’s hosts, facilitates interaction with radio engineering, news and other stations, and directs the live on-air show to time. Special projects and coverage, as well as breaking news duties, are also part of the job.
The producer/director requires unusual hours, with a shift that starts on weekdays as early as 4 a.m.
- Directs two (2) daily live, statewide broadcasts of The California Report.
- Coordinates production of those two broadcasts, and other editorial tasks, between the TCR staff, radio engineering, news hosts and more.
- Researches, writes, edits, produces and reports stories for The California Report.
- Produces a variety of editorial content for the web, mobile and social media, such as audio, scripts, text stories, blog posts, photographs, video and databases.
- Delivers audio, scripts, text stories, blog posts, photographs, video and other content from the field.
- Assists the Editor, Host and others on the KQED News team in developing coverage strategies and daily assignments.
- Assists the Editor, Host and others on the KQED News team in determining appropriate platforms to best tell the story.
- Logs, edits and dubs sound for story production as necessary.
- Performs other essential duties, as required.
- Thorough knowledge of journalistic principles, ethics and standards.
- Excellent news judgment
- Excellent organizational skills to function in briskly paced, multi-platform news operation.
- Excellent knowledge of current and emerging technologies impacting journalism, including web, mobile and social media.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to work under deadline pressures.
- Demonstrated ability to problem-solve and innovate.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with both veteran and new staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work in teams and across departments.
- Demonstrated ability to work with external partners and collaborations.
1. One-three years experience working in a news operation is desired.
- Experience in broadcast news is a plus.
- Working knowledge of the 9-county Bay Area and the Sacramento region is a plus.
- Experience working in a demographically diverse news environment strongly desired.
- B.A. or Masters degree in journalism, broadcast, mass communications or comparable media curriculum containing multimedia and digital news emphasis a plus.
Other Job Functions:
- Edits online and multimedia content.
- Assumes other responsibilities as assigned.