California Shakespeare Theater (Cal Shakes) is looking for a friendly, adaptive, and collaborative A2. This is a Seasonal/Non-Exempt position in the Sound department, reporting to the Head of Sound. The A2 shall function as the deck technician and is primarily responsible for maintaining and distributing the wireless microphones. The A2 may also serve as secondary sound board operator.
About Cal Shakes
Description: Launched in 1974, Cal Shakes is a major Bay Area theater that, guided by the artistic direction of Obie Award-winning Eric Ting, has emerged as a leader in promoting Equity in theater and incorporating the voices and perspectives of community partners in the works on our stage. California Shakespeare Theater strives for an inclusive work environment and works to actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents, and experiences. We highly encourage people of color, individuals with disabilities, and other historically underrepresented groups in our community to apply.
Mission: Cal Shakes redefines the classical theater for the 21st Century, making works of extraordinary artistry that engage with our contemporary moment so we might learn about ourselves and each other in the fullness of our world.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Statement: At Cal Shakes, we believe that equity is a practice. Our actions—both onstage and off—can have a positive social impact by exposing oppression, addressing historic injustices, and showing how power can be transformed and shared in different ways. We endeavor to dismantle systemic bias by actively including, reflecting, and creating opportunities for our diverse Bay Area communities. We recognize that this work is ongoing and often imperfect, but we are committed to facilitating respect for the many facets of the human experience
Qualifications: Candidates share with us a respect for diverse backgrounds and voices and a commitment to inclusion and equity. Have appropriate knowledge of wireless mic operations, basic rigging and backstage audio and video monitoring systems. Demonstrate troubleshooting, maintenance abilities and a commitment to safety and safe practices in the theatre. Candidates should be comfortable working at heights (ladders, genie lifts, catwalks and truss), and be able to lift 30 pounds over your head. Have good time management & punctuality.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Fulfillment of these responsibilities is accomplished in the following ways:
● Wireless Mic technician. Working with the Sound Designer, Sound Engineer, and actors to prepare the mics and keep them working for productions
● Working with the Sound Engineer on installation and strike of all sound equipment and elements in a timely manner
● Ensure all sound department systems are installed and functioning prior to the first technical rehearsal
● Maintaining effective communication with Sound Mixer, Stage Manager, and other running crew members, to ensure smooth installation and operation of sound department needs on a production
● Maintaining a clean and safe work environment at all times
● Other miscellaneous duties as needed
Special Environmental Factors:
● Theater is open-air with extended standing and walking on uneven surfaces
● Work at the theater includes exposure to sunlight, and hot and cold weather for extended periods of time
● Variable schedule requires evening and weekend hours during load-ins, technical rehearsals and performances
- Up to 70 hours per week for tech week, around 30 hours per week for performances, Tuesdays – Sundays with Mondays off.
Duration:This position is available starting May 12, 2020 through October 18, 2020; there is the possibility of some audio load in work in the beginning of May and load out work through October.Supervision: Head of Sound oversees this position.
- Paid at the prevailing minimum wage, overtime paid at time and a half. Rate can vary dependant on experience.
Cal Shakes is unable to provide local housing or travel assistance.
2020 Show Dates:
● The Comedy of Errors: 1st Rehearsal-April 27 / 1st Tech-May 21 / 1st Preview-May 27 /
Opening-May 30 / Closing-June 14 / Possible Extension closing – June 21
● The Oresteia: 1st Rehearsal-June 9 / 1st Tech-July 2 / 1st Preview-July 8 / Opening-July 11 / Closing-July 26/ Possible Extension closing – August 2
● 1001 Nights (A Retelling) 1st Rehearsal-July 21 / 1st Tech-August 13 / 1st Preview-August 19 / Opening-August 22 / Closing-September 6/ Possible Extension closing – September 13
● Romeo Y Juliet: 1st Rehearsal-August 25 / 1st Tech-September 17 / 1st Preview-September 23 / Opening-September 26 / Closing-October 11/ Possible Extension closing – October 18
Deadline: February 18, 2020
NOTE: Applicants must provide availability between May 12th, 2020 and October 18th, 2020 in cover letter.
APPLY HERE: Please submit cover letter with availability and résumé to: email@example.com (with “A2 Search” in the subject header)