Universal Audio (UA) seeks an experienced Sound Designer with a strong background in music/MI virtual instrument or synthesizer sonic voicing and preset design. Universal Audio makes some of the most advanced hybrid digital/analog audio products available in the market today. The position of Sound Designer requires expertise at contributing to the design of either software or hardware products, including in depth software applications. You must have excellent communication/documentation skills and be able work within diverse product development teams.
As a member of the Instruments group product management team, you will be involved in the early stages of product development, including versions of working Luna Instrument prototypes; as well as giving input to product management and engineering in refining product requirements from pre-alpha phase through to final release. You will be responsible for clearly communicating technically complex information to multiple departments, while contributing to the lifecycle of professional music-making, audio and recording products.
The role of Sound Designer at UA is multi-faceted, but a key factor is to ensure UA is making products that customers will love.
Primary deliverables include tracking and participating in feedback during the development process, collaborating with the product manager/owners on requirements and design during the production of sample materials and during the instrument design process, and creation of the sample mapping, basic behaviors, and sonic character of the final design.
· Development of new UA Luna Instruments that combine incredible technologies with studied craftsmanship
· Work with Product Owners and Senior Instrument Designer to develop plan for sample-based LUNA Instruments, including recording and mapping of sample content, creation of the scripting and preset design
· Contribute to definition and execution plan for design of basic sonic characteristics (voicing) as well as preset design, including potential management of external contracting resources for preset design
· Ad-hoc testing and bug reporting during development
· 5+ years of relevant and progressive domain experience with use of virtual instruments and musical experience that enables fluid interaction in instrument design
· Expertise in music recording/creation technology including recording interfaces, effects processors/plug-ins, digital audio workstations, guitar products, keyboard products and virtual instruments
· Expert in modern computers used for modern audio production
· Excellent communication, planning, prioritizing and organizing skills
· Able to understand technical concepts and evaluate complex tradeoffs
· Excellent quantitative and qualitative analysis skills
· Job is full-time and located in Los Angeles, CA (satellite UA development location)
· Experience with keyboard instruments, guitar products and effects processors
· Expertise in more than one digital audio workstation (DAW)
· Expertise in more than one major computer operating system (OS)
· Experience managing direct reports