More than a candidate that checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work, learn, and grow at Sonos—no matter their background or how they identify. If that’s you, we hope you’ll apply for this role.
You want to be part of a team.
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team of individuals. You assume everyone’s best intentions, welcome a healthy debate, and embrace differing opinions. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
You enjoy a challenge.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You’re ambitious and comfortable making mistakes because you learn from them and bounce back quickly. You would rather create the future than wait for it. You prioritize long-term value over short-term objectives.
You love to listen.
You approach every interaction with curiosity and a desire to understand. You want to make a positive impact in the world. You’re passionate about culture and know the power that music, film, podcasts, games, and stories have to bring people together.
What You’ll Do
- Conduct cutting edge research in audio signal processing and machine learning.
- Design, develop, and evaluate methods for analysing, processing, and rendering audio and music.
- Stay abreast of the latest audio DSP and ML related trends in industry and academia.
- Identify the emerging opportunities presented by new methods and developments in the field, and communicate them to internal stakeholders and colleagues.
- Use your domain knowledge to help drive forward our research program into previously unexplored areas.
- Apply your scientific knowledge to develop technologies from early concepts to tangible and demonstrable realisation.
- Clearly communicate research findings to stakeholders both within and outside of the Advanced Technology group via verbal, written, and practical demonstrations.
- Work closely with your colleagues in Research Operations and Engineering to help mature new technologies from “validated in the lab” to “in products”.
- Generate and contribute to IP and related technology assets.
- PhD in audio, acoustics, computer science for audio, electronic engineering, physics, or a related discipline.
- Strong knowledge of digital signal processing for audio or music.
- Knowledge of one or more of the following areas applied to audio or music: machine learning, music information retrieval, deep learning, statistical modelling, data science.
- Drive to deliver impactful research at the intersection of audio processing, acoustics, statistical learning, audio perception, and human-computer interaction.
- Ability to clearly communicate, present, and disseminate research findings to both specialist and general audiences.
- Comfortable working with teams across multiple geographies and time zones.
- Musical background (playing, producing, engineering).
- Experience designing and conducting experiments on audio perception, psychology, cognitive neuroscience.
- Proficiency in Python and experience using the core scientific computing and machine learning libraries (e.g. NumPy, SciPy, ScikitLearn, Tensorflow, Keras).
- Experience in sourcing, cleaning, visualising, and modelling data.
- Experience using cloud based computing for analysing and processing large datasets (e.g. AWS, GCP).
- Experience in real-time audio processing.
- Experience in C/C++ and Matlab.
- Experience in developing technologies for audio reproduction systems.
- Audio related publications in one or more of the following: ICASSP, NeurIPS, ICML, Interspeech, JASA, ISMIR, EUSIPCO, WASPAA, CHI.
More About Sonos
Sonos is a sound experience company. We pioneered multiroom wireless audio, made it sound amazing, and changed the way people listen, making it effortless for them to enjoy what they want, where they want, how they want.
Today we continue empowering listeners by developing new technologies, thoughtfully designing products, expanding our software platform, and crafting brilliant sound experiences while participating in a culture that values respect, transparency, collaboration, and ownership.
Together we’re working to positively impact the world and inspire everyone to listen better—because listening brings people together, builds understanding, drives change, and makes us happier.