Title: Lead House Manager
Reports To: Productions Director
La Peña Cultural Center’s mission is to promote peace, social justice, and cultural understanding through the arts, education and community action.
As the face of La Peña, the House Manager is responsible for ensuring that our patrons, performers and volunteers have a positive experience. House Managers need to be friendly, helpful, and positive. Visitors should feel welcome. The House Manager reports directly to the Productions Director.
La Peña Cultural Center is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment against any individual on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, ancestry, religion, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship or any other factor protected by anti-descrimination laws.
• A strong commitment to the mission, goals and work of La Peña Cultural Center
• Experience as cashier and with customer service
• Experience in hospitality and/or events
• Experience working with people of all ages, socio-economic backgrounds, ethnicities, gender and sexual orientations
• Excel and Word proficiency at an intermediate level
• Clear communicator with excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to motivate and direct people
• Detail oriented
• Adaptable and flexible
• Must be available mainly nights & weekends; being available during the day is a plus; may be on call
• Comfortable in a multi-task environment with frequent interruptions, and sometimes a high degree of pressure
• Effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact with management, staff, and audience members, funders, donors, and artists
• Bilingual in Spanish
• Experience with live sound/lighting/stage management
Duties and Responsibilities:
Organizer/Artist/Tech/Guest Relations Duties:
-Serves as liaison between artist, organizer and technicians and gives clear communication
-Reads contracts and insures that all instructions and needs of La Peña are clearly communicated
-Remains consistently professional despite issues and confidently advocates on behalf of the Cultural Center first & foremost
Tickets & Settlement Duties:
-Works with Eventbrite ticketing program for seeing ticket presales & selling tickets
-Sells tickets quickly in a fast-paced environment with no errors
-Generates box office report and creates settlement for organizer/artist(s)
-Collects fees from renters when applicable
-Completes all “end of show” documentation and leaves in the correct location
-Assures that starting change is correct & returned back to safe
-Assures that ticket sale revenue is correct and dropped in safe
Managing Volunteer Duties:
-Gives instructions & information to volunteers
-Assures that volunteers are presentable, professional & welcoming at all times
-Assures that volunteers are at their post or that their post is covered when they need to step away
-Assures that volunteers have a positive experience & that we are grateful for their help
-Oversees building (lights, doors, a/c, heat, bathrooms, trash, etc.) to keep people safe & comfortable as well as protect La Peña
-Oversees set-up & strike down of room(s)
-Creates the correct ambience for guests in space & for marketing purposes
-Maintains clean & organized spaces
-Can confidently & eloquently introduce show when able
-Communicate all issues, messages & feedback for the office staff
-Trains junior house managers
Part-time position: 25 hours per month Starting salary: $17/hr
The responsibilities and tasks associated with this position will require that the Lead House Manager regularly sit, stand, walk, speak, and hear. Ability to climb ladders, move moderately heavy equipment (up to 40 lbs), and use a computer and computer keyboard and read a computer screen are required.
Application period OPEN.
Send cover letter and resume by May 8, 2017 or open until filled to email@example.com. Bicultural and people of color encouraged to apply.
No phone calls or faxes. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.