A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
Develops timely, original program content for All Things Considered. Takes the lead in initiating, researching and executing major show-based projects, working closely with show hosts¸ supervisory team, editorial and production staff. The Editor I/II/III writes and edits scripts for daily and future broadcast and provides support for the host in preparing for daily interviews. This position also provides editorial guidance and mentoring for production staff and prepares and edits material for on-air and online.
- Duties of lower levels editors plus:
- A – Actively pitches forward-looking, news-driven stories that they book and produce for air on an aggressive deadline
- B – Writes, edits and updates news coverage, coordinating with show staff, Newsdesk and Desk editors as needed.
- C – Responsible for editorial integrity and quality of broadcast/published product, ensuring that all materials on air and online meet NPR standards and practices
- D- Works proactively with digital and engagement teams to make sure the show content is engaging digital audiences
- E- Work various shifts, as assigned
- E – Other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least four years of experience as a reporter, editor, or producer.
- Demonstrated writing, editing ability and experience in editorial decision-making
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
Requirements of Editor I, plus:
- At least six years of experience as a reporter, editor, or producer.
- Thorough knowledge and demonstrated skill in news-writing techniques.
- Demonstrated skill in conceptualizing and planning com multi-part stories.
- Demonstrated strong interest in digital media.
Requirements of Editor I and II plus:
- Demonstrated ability to organize and disseminate information and to coordinate daily news coverage.
- Functions as a key influencer on shape, look and sound of content, assisting hosts and staff in organizing, focusing and drafting their stories and interviews.
- All levels
- Expertise in editing shows under breaking news conditions.
- Daily news experience.
- Broadcast experience.
- Experience in Digital Media, CMS.
- Knowledge of audio production.
- Experience editing on digital audio workstations.
- All levels