- Guide the development of original investigative ideas, advising in story research, sourcing and analysis.
- Serve as lead editor on original stories and projects for multiple platforms, often several simultaneously.
- Work with Member Station editors and reporters to identify stories and investigative project opportunities and marshal resources to execute those ideas.
- Build relationships with Member Station news directors to ensure alignment between NPR investigative objectives and local Member Station newsroom needs and demands.
- Edit audio scripts and develop proficiency in producing correspondent pieces
- Produce and publish content on mobile and digital platforms, write headlines and other copy and assist in producing interactive material and multimedia content
- Effectively promote and represent the Station Investigations team at internal meetings and in public forums.
- Promote Investigations Team content on social media
- Other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in journalism
- Experience editing complex, original investigative journalism on multiple platforms.
- Track record of effectively guiding reporters and producers to produce meaningful stories.
- Familiarity with audio storytelling.
- Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
- Ability to handle more than one assignment at a time; ability to prioritize, anticipate and communicate effectively.
- Ability to stay focused and organized while pursuing complex, long-term reporting projects.
- Ability to identify and include key stakeholders on a project, whether within NPR or between NPR and Member stations.
- Ability to travel and work remotely and effectively with limited supervision
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
Preferred Competencies & Skills
- Experience using recording equipment and audio editing software.
- Familiarity with field and studio production.
- Experience with Web or multimedia production
- Experience in public radio.