Capital Public Radio is the public radio service of California State University, Sacramento. It consists of seven full-power stations and six repeaters, all members of National Public Radio. Capital Public Radio is the NPR member for Sacramento and much of the surrounding area, including Stockton and Modesto. The group is headquartered on the Sacramento State campus.
Capital Public Radio’s vision is to be the most valued, vital and vibrant service. One that inspires people to look at the world from multiple perspectives and capitalizes on emerging opportunities to serve their audience and engage their communities.
To provide a trusted and indispensable source of information, music, and entertainment while strengthening the civic and cultural life of the communities we serve.
At Capital Public Radio, their vision is to be the most valued, vital and vibrant service. One that inspires people to look at the world from multiple perspectives and capitalizes on emerging opportunities to serve their audience and engage their communities.
Code of Ethics and Station Principles
NPR and NPR stations report, produce, acquire and distribute news, information and other content that meet the highest standards of public service in journalism and cultural expression.
In support of CapRadio’s mission and strategic vision, Capital Public Radio is recruiting a Chief Technology Officer (CTO) is responsible for the planning, management and overall supervision of the Engineering/IT, Operations, and Web departments. The CTO will act as a technology strategist who will work with CapRadio’s senior management to develop and implement a technology vision that advances the interests of the organization, ensures the continuity of all CapRadio operations, supports multiplatform content creation, embraces external partnerships and collaborations, and integrates CRM into all facets of the organization.
This CTO will lead a team that fosters mutual respect and cooperation, sound business practices, cost effectiveness and accountability. The mandate for this officer will be to ensure that CapRadio-wide daily operational requirements are fulfilled to include: IT network integrity, production operations and systems, broadcast distribution integrity and digital distribution integrity among others.
The CTO will work with CapRadio’s senior leaders to help drive decision-making on all matters related to business planning and integration of CapRadio’s technology vision. They need to take in a large volume of information and distill it into the essential elements that define the core problems to be solved. The CTO will have the ability to organize teams to address strategic issues and to communicate to a group why they should share a common vision.
Ideal candidates will feel a connection with CapRadio’s public service mission and will be experienced across a range of digital media technology systems and engineering functions including broadcast production and distribution.
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer/Chief Financial Officer
Core Technical Competencies: IP Infrastructure
Efficient Multiplatform Workflow
Familiarity with Mobile and Emerging Platforms
Familiarity with Legacy Radio Systems
Familiarity with broadcast operations systems
Familiarity with AOIP technologies
Familiarity with FCC regulations
Disaster Recovery & Business Continuity
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
- 15 years experience in a production/broadcast/digital environment including 5 years in an executive level technology leadership position.
- Currently in a technology and operations leadership role with experience with digital audio/video formats and technology for mobile and emerging platforms.
- Should have strong knowledge of broadcast, information technology and digital technologies employed in the industry.
- Proven experience in managing a technology and operations function from a financial and managerial point of view.
- Strong operational background and ability to design broadcast production systems and processes.
- Ability to implement excellent customer service based processes.
- Hands-on experience in attracting and retaining innovative, technologically savvy talent.
- Negotiation experience with clients, vendors, and technology business partners.
- Experience in major enterprise level technology construction or renovation projects is desirable.
- Exposure to broadcast, digital media, news or other content-related industry is desirable.
- Prior experience in public media is a plus.
- A Bachelor’s Degree and/or equivalent experience required. Postgraduate degree in engineering, computer science or business administration is preferred.
If Interested and Qualified, please contact:
Talent Acquisition Specialist
Office: (410) 528-8400 ext. 109