This is a pivotal moment in the life of The New York Times. We have declared ourselves a subscription-first company, staking our future on producing journalism that is worth paying for and is unparalleled in its quality, depth and breadth of coverage. Connecting our expanding readership to our quality journalism is one of our most vital and exciting challenges as we move towards reaching our goal of 10 million subscriptions by 2025.
Over the past few years we have been growing our Audio team to better support successful efforts like The Daily (1 billion downloads since 2017), Caliphate, 1619 and Still Processing, and to lay the groundwork for more to come. While people increasingly find themselves with less and less time, the natural human need to be informed, enriched and entertained remains strong, and we believe there’s a great opportunity with audio to help build products that better meet people where they are.
We are looking for founding members of the Audio tech team to build out the backend to support a world class mobile audio product. Backend Engineer will work closely with mobile developers, product and design team members, as well as the NYT Audio editorial team, to help shape our product offering. This is a greenfield project so all team members will have a hand in shaping backend architecture, best practices and team culture.
- Belief in our mission: You have a passion for the news and for making the Times an indispensable daily destination for our readers.
- Technical competency: You have deep knowledge of API design, content management and backend systems, and keep up to date on changes in backend frameworks, languages and overall developer community.
- Code cleanliness: You have an understanding of what makes code well structured, maintainable and flexible and strive to create a culture where quality code is valued.
- User focus: You care deeply about how design, engineering and product decisions contribute to creating a seamless, engaging and enjoyable user experience.
- You will implement features and systems related to content management, mobile API, DevOps and other components to support a native mobile app.
- You will contribute to backend architectural decisions, technical roadmap and timeline estimations related to all aspects of the backend system.
- You may contribute to some front end development.
- You will help promote standards in development and delivery, and engage with the community of developers at the Times.
- Experience working in Node.js, GraphQL and Go (a plus not required).
- Some experience with front end development frameworks, such as React
- Experience with content management systems, specifically related to audio or video.
- Experience building APIs directed to support mobile apps, ideally with audio streaming/download support.
- Experience building on public cloud platform services: Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Google Cloud Platform
- Knowledge of software principles, application architecture, data structures, coding conventions, and security practices.
Benefits and Perks:
- Make an impact by supporting our original, independent and deeply reported journalism.
- We provide competitive health, dental, vision and life insurance for employees and their families
- We support responsible retirement planning with a generous 401(k) company match.
- We offer a competitive parental leave.
- We are committed to career development and ongoing learning supported by a formal mentoring program as well as $8,000 annually for tuition reimbursement.
- We have frequent panel discussions and talks by a wide variety of newsmakers and industry leaders.
- Join a community committed to the richness of diversity, experiences and talents in the world we cover, supported by a variety of employee resource groups.
This position is based in New York, NY and we are open to remote candidates.