California Shakespeare Theater (Cal Shakes) is looking for a detail-oriented, adaptive, and collaborative A1. This is a seasonal, non-exempt position that reports to the Head of Sound. The A1 acts as Sound Mixer for two to four of the seasons productions and assists on all load ins, strikes, and change overs throughout the season. The A1 also offers occasional support as requested for projects in other departments at Cal Shakes.
About Cal Shakes
Description: Launched in 1974, Cal Shakes is a major Bay Area theater that, guided by the artistic direction of Obie Award-winning Eric Ting, has emerged as a leader in promoting Equity in theater and incorporating the voices and perspectives of community partners in the works on our stage. California Shakespeare Theater strives for an inclusive work environment and works to actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents, and experiences. We highly encourage people of color, individuals with disabilities, and other historically underrepresented groups in our community to apply.
Mission: Cal Shakes redefines the classical theater for the 21st Century, making works of extraordinary artistry that engage with our contemporary moment so we might learn about ourselves and each other in the fullness of our world.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Statement: At Cal Shakes, we believe that equity is a practice. Our actions—both onstage and off—can have a positive social impact by exposing oppression, addressing historic injustices, and showing how power can be transformed and shared in different ways. We work to dismantle systemic bias by actively including, reflecting, and creating opportunities for our diverse Bay Area communities. We recognize that this work is ongoing and often imperfect, but we are committed to facilitating respect for the many facets of the human experience.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
• Live mixing and operation of sound board for all techs and performances
• Oversees preparation of wireless microphones for all performances and tech runs.
• Attending post tech meetings as needed.
• Maintaining effective communication with the Stage Manager, Designers, Directors and other running crew members, to ensure smooth installation and operation of sound department needs on a production.
• Responsible for pre-show checks, maintenance, and repair of all equipment during the run of a show with the assistance of the A2.
• Organizing technical support for other theater events and projects, including Grove Talks and rentals, as requested.
Other tasks as assigned.
You are an ideal candidate if you:
- Share with us a respect for diverse backgrounds and voices and a commitment to inclusion and equity
- Have a minimum of 2 years’ experience in theater sound or A/V department
- Have experience and/or professional-level training with wireless microphones, live mixing, and digital mixing boards
- Have Mac and PC computer skills, ability to assess, design and install plots, familiarity with LCS, Qlab, Protools and other standard audio and video editing programs.
- Have good time management & punctuality
- Are comfortable working at heights (ladders, genie lifts, catwalks and truss), and are able to lift 50 pounds over your head
- Have previous outdoor theater experience preferred, but not required
- Have a valid driver’s license
Special Environmental Factors:
- Theater is open-air with extended standing and walking on uneven surfaces
- Work at the theater includes exposure to sunlight, and hot and cold weather for extended periods of time
- Variable schedule requires evening and weekend hours during load-ins, technical rehearsals and performances. Some evening calls can end as late as 2am.
The A1’s schedule will be based upon show schedules. The hourly rate is between $18 – $21 per hour and is based on experience.
2020 Show Dates:
- The Comedy of Errors: 1st Rehearsal-April 27 / 1st Tech-May 21 / 1st Preview-May 27 /
Opening-May 30 / Closing-June 14 / Possible Extension closing – June 21
- The Oresteia: 1st Rehearsal-June 9 / 1st Tech-July 2 / 1st Preview-July 8 / Opening-July 11 / Closing-July 26/ Possible Extension closing – August 2
- 1001 Nights (A Retelling): 1st Rehearsal-July 21 / 1st Tech-August 13 / 1st Preview-August 19 / Opening-August 22 / Closing-September 6/ Possible Extension closing – September 13
- Romeo Y Juliet: 1st Rehearsal-August 25 / 1st Tech-September 17 / 1st Preview-September 23 / Opening-September 26 / Closing-October 11/ Possible Extension closing – October 18
Application deadline: February 18, 2020. Cal Shakes is unable to provide local housing or travel assistance.
APPLY HERE: Please submit cover letter with availability and résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org (with “A1 Search” in the subject header)