We’re looking for an audio story editor who’s excited about helping develop, prototype, pilot, and edit a wide variety of podcasts – from daily news to produced interviews to long-form narrative.
The editor is responsible for the management and optimization of pre-production, production, and post-production workflows for KQED’s podcasts. The editor works with podcast producers to develop storylines and determine focus for individual episodes and podcast seasons. The editor reviews scripts and rough mixes on both a big picture and a line-by-line basis. The editor coaches podcast producers and editors.
This is a key role in building and supporting KQED’s vibrant portfolio of original digital audio content. This editor will partner with the Director, Podcasts and the Engagement Producer, Podcasts to work with teams already in active production on ongoing shows, as well as be a key part of shaping new concepts, elevating new voices, evaluating pitches and pushing the sound and formats of digital-first audio at KQED.
- Assist in the post production process by cutting tape, overseeing the mixes and the scoring of episodes
- Provide timely and in-depth edits on story structure for scripts and mixes for a variety of podcasts, and assist in writing when necessary
- Assist in the creation of the sound, tone and style for each show
- Brainstorm, direct research for, and shape concepts for new shows along with helping to evaluating shows that are being pitched and work closely with the Director, Podcasts on making sure that the concepts fit KQED’s public service journalism mission and ethos
- Oversee creative communication with each podcast project’s teams including hosts, production staff and researchers throughout development and production process
- Manage multiple deadlines and clearly communicate those to hosts, editors, producers, and reporters
- Record in the studio and in the field as needed
- Create and adapt systems and production workflows for individual shows that support deadline-driven creative work.
- Skilled in teamwork and self-direction; emotionally intelligent communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of public media journalistic principles, ethics and standards.
- Strong storytelling skills
- Strong knowledge of podcast industry
- Knowledge of Spanish or another foreign language
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree preferred)
- 3+ years experience content editing
- 5 years experience audio reporting and/or producing
APPLY HERE: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1790777413/