The core focus of this role is to provide creative support, including training, for Dolby’s broadcast, operator and other content creation partners who are looking to add Dolby Atmos to their live broadcast/streaming services. In this role, you will focus on supporting the creation and growth of Dolby Atmos content for live events. You will be a master at the craft of live sports audio mixing and will have worked for a broadcaster or outside broadcast company (on a staff or freelance basis) delivering 5.1 audio on major live broadcast network’s shows.
The purpose of the job is to perform audio content creation related duties including live immersive mixing at an advisory support, training & demonstration level with Dolby’s customers and suppliers in the outside broadcast and related communities. In this role, you will become an industry expert in mixing immersive and personalized audio for live events. You will become a key source of customer and industry information for the wider Dolby team, including Product Management and Research. This information will be built on your experiences and your knowledge of live events, alongside the deep understanding of Dolby technology that you will be expected to develop.
You will assist Dolby’s customers in the creation of simultaneous Dolby Atmos, 5.1 and Stereo audio within a live entertainment environment. You will leverage your deep understanding and experience in broadcast workflows from acquisition to playback in the home, and your industry relationships and contacts, to enable current and future Dolby technologies. Thereby, lowering or removing the individual and unique barriers to adoption found at each point along the signal path.
This role will involve frequent global travel to customer facilities, including to live event venues. Some travel will be outside of regular office hours, involve weekends and may be for extended periods.
Responsibilities and functions
• Function as Dolby’s premier staff A1, and evangelize Dolby Atmos to the live content creation community
• Mix live events in Dolby Atmos as needed to assist or demonstrate
• Create immersive audio content using Dolby’s tools and technology
• Provide continual guidance, instruction and training to members of Dolby’s customers’ live audio production teams – includes production of training content and materials
• Provide strategic direction within this area of expertise – give regular and influential advice to peers and customers, and work continuously to elevate the expertise of those constituents
• Provide support to outside broadcast and production companies, and advise on OB truck design and immersive production and signal workflows
• Document mixing information and share key learnings with the wider technical community in Dolby by actively engaging in Dolby’s Knowledge Management initiative
• Work closely with Dolby’s Solutions Engineers around the world, the Consumer Entertainment Business Group, and the Account Managers to remove roadblocks in the deployment of Dolby Atmos within the live environment
• Engage with the wider audio mixing community including trained immersive mixers and the community of Dolby mixing consultants – become the trusted point of reference for live Atmos mixing expertise for these consultants
• Actively maintain awareness of key industry issues, live entertainment practises and commercial reality – keep up to date with market and commercial developments in and outside of Dolby
• Maintain an audio mixing lab and own its on-going development
• Deliver customer training to technical staff who are involved in all stages of the broadcast/OTT delivery chain
• Support audio quality and usability testing of 3rd party products that are designed to work with Dolby’s audio technologies in the live production environment
• Assist the research and development teams with testing of emerging technologies and products
Experience, Skills and Qualifications
As the ideal candidate you will have in-depth experience in live sports audio production with a broadcaster, technology provider, outside broadcast company, or will have worked in these areas on a freelance basis.
• Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent experience) in Science, Electronic Engineering, Music Technology, or Arts related subject
• At least 5 years of experience working with live production in the live sports outside broadcast community
• Deep professional knowledge of theories, principles and concepts, and real-life application in the areas of live audio production and entertainment technology – in particular, audio mixing within a live sports outside broadcast environment
• A deep professional knowledge of the audio consoles and workflows favoured by live content creation industry – specific expertise with, and the ability to configure, Calrec audio consoles
• Ability to develop and maintain an in-depth professional knowledge of the products and technologies associated with creating Dolby stereo/5.1/Atmos within the live production environment
• Ability to work in a high-pressure live production environment and put others at ease
• Able to work and learn on own initiative and with excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities
• Good interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal interactions with customers and peers are a critical element of the role)
• Naturally stay clear thinking and calm while handling objections; be clear on own objectives, but aim for win/win solution on behalf of Dolby and our customers
• Knowledge of other live event mixing consoles beyond Calrec (e.g. Lawo, SSL, Stagetec, etc.)
• Experience in working in live music production for broadcast, or other non-sports live productions
• Customer support experience
• A passion for audio/video